Sunday, January 03, 2010

Cory Doctorow on Why Copyright is Worth Fighting About

Cory Doctorow makes some very good points here.


vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...


ok. yes. and yes yes.

but are his books good?
will have to read online...

Nikola said...


His books are great. Well actually I have only read "Little brother" and it was GREAT! He makes allot of good points about copyright and our personal rights in it. Give it a shot, you wont be disappointed ; )

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

thanks for the recommendation. i dont know anyone who has read him in my smallish circle of goobs.

Boiledfrog said...

I haven't read any of his books but've listened to a couple of his podcasts (reading his own works) on the long commute to work. I really liked 'when sysadmins rule the world' as a short! His podcasts are available on iTunes.

He is, however, very prolific, so I'd need some advice as to where to start reading published work. (Mebbe follow @Nikola's advice there).

As to the videolink...

Totally agree that copyright should not be to protect the corporation from the individual (except where the individual is profiting from the corporations hard work). Personally, I think if the corporation is able to monetize stuff relatively transparently and easily, everyone's a winner (consumer has easy access, corporation gets paid for promoting material, rights holders and content producers get their due).

I believe it's the corporations/publishers failure to make access to content that is the failing here.

I ranted about this at some length on my own blog late last year (