Friday, February 24, 2012

Jawing

I had a bit of a day off yesterday, going off to meet a guy  in a pub on the other side of Maldon - he buys my books every year and every year I sign them. In the morning I spent far too much time reading science articles and generally pissing about on the internet and, in the afternoon, the two beers I had completely wiped out any inclination to work. I won’t bother to try catching up with my weekly word count since being 75,000 words into a book I don’t have to deliver for about one and a half years I can be confident I’m ahead of the game.

Anyway, the writing is going extremely well even with the distractions of the internet, so when we go to Crete at the end of March I expect it will pick up even more. Sickness, death and tragedy aside I can see myself finishing off three books by September 2013.

Despite the beer turning my brain to mush I did read through plenty of science articles yesterday and this one, pointed out to me by Droxxo on the message board, really caught my attention. Here’s a Golem component first manufactured as a human prosthetic:




An 83-year-old woman suffering from a lower jaw infection became the first person to receive a jaw implant manufactured with a 3D printer. Infections such as hers are normally remedied with reconstructive surgery, but doctor’s deemed the procedure too risky because of her age and health. Instead they turned to LayerWise, a company that specializes in 3D printing of metallic structures.

Just, wow.        

4 comments:

Neal Asher said...

Mmm, now, with the writing I did on Sunday all I have to do is 2772 words today to hit my 10,000...

Neal Asher said...

Okay, target hit.

Phillip J. Johns said...

That's amazing. Makes me think of the design of the cyborg endoskeletons in Ghost in the Shell.

Oh, congrats on meeting your target. I just passed 40,000 myself, so I should be on track to finish Serial Psyence in oh, 2013 ...

Neal Asher said...

Work harder, Philip!