Monday, September 27, 2010

Chilli Sauce



I finally managed to accumulate just shy of a kilo of assorted chillies and most of them being pretty damned hot I decided to bulk them out with a couple of red peppers. Into the pan I put a cup of vinegar and one of sugar (though part of that sugar was actually honey). I blitzed the chillies, the peppers and a whole bulb of about twenty or so cloves of garlic and bunged them in the pan too. I started heating this, to melt the sugar and render things down a bit, but noted that the whole mix was a bit dense, so added another cup each of sugar and vinegar. I brought it to the boil, let it cool a bit then whisked in a dessert spoonful of plain flower to thicken it. Still not the right consistency so I added another spoonful, then brought the lot up to a rolling boil ready to jar. I heated some jars (burning my finger in the process), scooped the mixture in and popped the lids on. There was just a little left over which went into a small bowl. In the evening we had samozas, bhaijas and spring rolls, dipped in this sauce and lathered with a peanut sauce Caroline had made. Absolutely delicious! 

  

5 comments:

Spencer said...

Just looking at the jars makes me hungry, and not just chilli sauce but homemade too? Oh the envy. Bottle it, mass produce, haha

Clive said...

"Bottle it, mass produce, haha"... and call it Sprine!

Spencer said...

Ha thats brilliant, i can see the label now! "SPRINE - Finest chilli sauce from Neal Asher" And you-d have to have a disclaimer aswell, "Not suitable for Hoopers, may cause instantaneous death". Awesome :)

Andy said...

looks pretty great... the UK chillies did not make it this year. Conclusion: better to have them inside than outside during a crappy English summer

Neal Asher said...

Spencer, I'll never mass produce the stuff. Dealing with chillies is far too dangerous and too many nasty accidents can happen if you don't wash your hands enough.

Clive, I'm sure I have some labels somewhere.

A Wingate, yeah, I remember my failures with growing chillies in Britain.