Thursday, November 03, 2011

Back in Blighty

I’m back in England (that place where No Smoking signs actually breed) where it is actually a bit warmer than in the mountains on Crete. However, as I noted to Caroline recently, when the temperature here is, say, 18 in the shade it’s probably only a few degrees above that in direct sunlight, if there is any. On Crete for an equivalent temperature in the shade the direct sunlight temperature can be 30 or above.

First job upon getting back here was sorting through the mail. Damn but I wish all our junk mail could be diverted to Crete. It would keep the house there warm for days. Next was food, and how wonderful it was, upon our return home and not having had much to eat, to phone the local Chinese and order a meal for two – delivered to our door just half an hour later (and scoffed at great speed). After that I had to retune the TVs because of the digital changeover, and my goodness isn’t there a lot to watch (an expected reaction after a diet of BBC World, Greek TV and DVDs). And now, of course, I have constant Internet.

I give it just a few days before I start shouting at the TV, a month before I decide I really need to stop eating so much, and a few months before I get disgusted at the amount of time I’m wasting on the Internet.

4 comments:

Chrish said...

Welcome home!
Let's hope next time we meet it wont be in a military junta.....looks worrying I'd say....

Arth said...

you came back to blighty just in time for winter...are you mad?

Neil said...

I've always wondered why you spent time in the UK during the winter. The temperatures look better in Crete on average?

Is it because it's easier to keep your UK house warmer?

Neal Asher said...

Up in the mountains in Crete it can get pretty cold. In fact it was warmer in England than there for the last week or so. Generally the temperatue never goes as low as it does in England, but it doesn't need to in an uninsulated stone house with tiled floors and a concrete roof.