Friday, April 18, 2014

A Walk to Vori


The next walk was down from Papagianades. I took the road out to the right just to add a bit of distance and get a view back. Here you can see that road steadily being encroached on by a prickly pear cactus and some aloe vera.
This is the view back towards the village. My house is the one at the top in the middle.

These are pictures on the track down into the valley, then back up to Vori.





And here are a few in the village itself.





But as anyone can see by checking dates, this is a belated post. I have since walked many miles up in the mountains of Crete and it is getting more beautiful as everything is starting to flower. This Vori walk is one I have not repeated what with most of if being a miles long stair case. I will post further pictures that grab my eye enough for me to get the camera out (like the scene I saw today of an annihilated wind turbine blade). I must also talk about how I am now making a concerted effort to learn Greek and have, in about two weeks, learned past present and future tenses of 50 words, also how to spell them and say them correctly (with the emphasis in the right place). That's all for now.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Nice area! Learning Greek, eh? That's a real challenge - I thought Spanish was hard enough :-)

Chrish said...

Kalo pascha!

Andrew said...

Nice post, thanks.

What do the locals think of you going for walks, or do they not care.

I went for a walk in the middle of a very hot day in Florida once, and I got some very odd looks. I suspect it was because I was walking rather than because of the heat by the way!

Grim's Reality said...

Enjoy the spring.

Alessandro said...

I know it sounds trivial, but I wonder if it'd be harder to learn greek (which, if it's anywhere near as terrifying as its ancient form, must be quite the challenge) or to get used to a different system of measurement? I mean, I *can* think in a different language but with weights and lenghts I can't do much better than a very generic estimate...