Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday 11th

We went on two walks over the weekend. On Saturday, as about 3.00 in the afternoon, we walked to a village called Armeni in the mountains behind us. This took about three-quarters of an hour up and down hills but by road, so slightly easier. In Armeni we visited a couple we know there who, having been working away in their garden, were stopping for a beer. The health aspect of our walk went downhill from then. We ended up getting a lift home at about 10.30 at night. Here’s a few photos of that and our next walk: our kafenion, our house from above, one of the fequent roadside shrines, and Papagianades from a distance...






On Sunday, by way of punishing ourselves, we did the walk of a hundred staircases by road down to a village called Vori, then back up by the tracks through the olive groves. There’s few pictures I can show that are any different from what I’ve shown before (I hear the voice of John Cleese declaring, ‘Olive trees, and more fucking olive trees!’).

Today – Internet day – I feel slightly worn out, but intend to persevere with this. It would be nice to flatten out my gut a bit before the five months of being trapped in our house in England.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a mountain hideaway in a bond film. Can't remember the one set in US?

Rosemary said...

Hi. Only just heard of you. Went into Waterstones Book Shop in my home town, Hull UK, to check a price of Terry Pratchett's new book and saw underneath it your new book. I was, I admit, attracted by the cover. I checked the inside synopsis of the book and liked the sound of it. I will look for more of your older books first, as I prefer to read series' from the beginning. As a trainee artist and writer, I'm also interested in Jon Sullivan, who I'd not heard of and his Artwork, so I'll check him out on the net as well. BYE

Grim's Reality said...

You won't be trapped in doors. To quote (and paraphrase) Billy Connolly; there's no such this as bad weather... only the wrong clothes. So get your galoshes and your mac and get out in the rain and the cold.

Our county has much to enjoy at any time of year, The Naze, Maldon, Hyde Hall, Frinton on a blustery day with big skies and white horses in the surf. I hate the cold as I get older, it get's into my breaks and reminds me of younger follies. But I find myself self looking forward to each season now, like an old friend.

It's a comfort knowing that the leaves will fall, the days grow short, but that in a few months it will reverse, and in the mean time I can enjoy the bleak cold knowing that Spring will come again.

There's nothing like being the only person on miles of beach in midwinter (So what if you can't swim, there are pools for that).
Get a good bumbag or day pack, a quality flask, and a positive mental attitude and thumb your nose at the elements.

Can I ask a silly question, why don't you summer in the UK and winter in the Med?

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

nice church.

stand using your computer Walter Murch style (sound editor for big movies). dont stop moving around. avoid nature and walking around in looney land at all costs! danger! epsilon-tooth day and sandal spatters approach!

Xanares said...

I'm trapped in a small flat in London all year. 2 more years then we're southbound.

Xanares said...

Btw. while you're down there in the cold Neal, a heart-warming brit skit for ya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz24GhDxYdo

Neal Asher said...

It is, Skar ... I have a white cat.

Nice to 'meet' you Rosemary, and I hope you enjoy the books. I take it is the Technician you picked up?

Graeme, you really should think about your last question...

Roadside shrine, Vaude. Someone died, or didn't. Praise the lord...

Xanares, I pity you.

Grim's Reality said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grim's Reality said...

No. Enlighten me.