Monday, November 22, 2010

On Yer Bike

It’s very definitely been the case that since coming back from Crete I’ve been spending far too much time on the Internet, and the most exercise I’ve had is moving the furniture out of a bedroom ready for a new carpet. And, as is usual with me, I’ve started to get annoyed with how indolent and crappy I feel.

Time to get on my bike again.


My usual route has been from our house here over to my mother’s house, where I would have a cup of tea and a chat, before cycling back again – an eight mile round trip. Last winter, because it was so damned cold, I didn’t do it as much as I should have. My resolution this winter is that I will cycle this route three times a week. The only times I won’t do this is if there’s an actual blizzard, ice on the roads, or a torrential downpour. I’ve also resolved to throw in a bit of weight training too.


Today was the first day. Cycling to my mother’s house against a headwind left me absolutely knackered, but the trip back wasn’t so bad. Once I got back I collected a dustpan and brush so as to occupy myself, in the rest period between each weight-training set, sweeping up all the crap that had blown into our garage over the summer. The training itself was surprisingly easy, and only left me feeling a bit tired and shaky, however, the real effects won’t kick in until tomorrow.


Why such madness? I need it. You have to remember that before I got taken on by Macmillan I worked in a very physical job for 13 years. Maybe I need the endorphins. Anyway, if I don’t get some exercise I’ll end up looking like this:

...

'nuff said.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I wish I could unsee certain things...

Fader209 said...

I find exercise makes you feel so much better in the long term, you don't even have to go all fanatical and obsessed about it.

If I go a week without any decent exercise I too feel a bit crappy with moods etc so I try to do a few runs a week. I do tend to run at night (around 9pm) so I get the added challenge of darkness which spices things up!
All that snow last year made it even more interesting...

Andy

LarryS said...

Yea I need to get my bike out but its such a fart on getting it out! As we have no garage its locked up in the shed out back and its quite awkward to get to! Must make the effort tho!
BTW I once had a racer I sprayed that colour (cold gold)-god that was a long time ago!

Sean said...

Good start Neal! In 9 months you'll be ready... ;-)
http://ironmanuk.com/2011/

Anonymous said...

It takes a LOT of work to look like that, doesn't just happen on its own.

Graeme. said...

What's more worrying is the hand cream next to the screen.........

brent said...

swim the english channel!

Neal Asher said...

Sorry about that Mark, but there are even worse ones to see if you stick 'fat man' in google.

Fader209, and the odd thing about exercise too is that though it takes up time, you seem to have more time. Your body and mind both speed up.

Larry, my bike is difficult to get to as well (in the garage behind the car). You'll feel better if you make the effort.

No, Sean, even I'm not so masochistic to take part in triathlons. I just want to be able to wear a T-shirt tucked in.

mr-maigo, 10,000 calories a day? I don't know how they afford the food.

Graeme, it's probably to stop chafing between the layers.

Brent, I'm used to the Libyan Sea. The shock would kill me.