Monday, November 15, 2010

Writing Update

You might think, what with the quantity of stuff I’ve been sticking up on this blog lately, that I haven’t been working hard enough on my next book. That’s not the case. The more lengthy and considered blogs here (some might call them ill-considered) I draft in a paper journal in the evening, when I’ve finished work, and take very little time typing up the next morning. The shorter ones I just do in a few minutes.

So, after having to stop writing Zero Point while in Crete to look at some copy editing on The Departure, then having to do the same again back here, I had to read through the entire thing again to get myself back on track. The book is now at 94,301words and, in the story, some serious shit is heading towards the fan.

Other news? Jon Sullivan is continuing to replace all my old covers, but at present is working on something a bit different for The Departure. Hopefully, this year, I’ll be popping in to London for a meeting with Julie Crisp and co and getting to meet this guy. I must make a selection of covers I want as prints and get him to bring them along.


Ah, incidentally, if you want to buy posters of those cover pictures, head over to Jon Sullivan Art and talk to the guy. I would like every one of them as prints but, despite being a step up on the property front, I don’t have enough walls to hang them on.

Right, I’ve done my 2,000 words today, and I’ve stopped to play for a little while, but now it's time to get back to it and start planning out some future scenes (shock horror!). Mmmm, did you know that an Alcubierre space-time bubble will produce massive tidal forces at the periphery of ? I thought not.

11 comments:

Neal Asher said...

Incidentally, has anyone out there got a copy of the SFX issue a review of The Technician appeared in? I'd like a scan of that...

Phil M said...

Should still have it, will check when i get home.

Anonymous said...

How fast do you read? Copy editing seems like it'd take me a long time.

Phil M said...

Ok Neal, I have the issue of SFX. Do you want the mag, the page or a scan?

Neal Asher said...

For whoever gets onto it first: just a scan of the page please!

Copy editing, mr-maigo, is terrible when you're doing it yourself. It's not so bad when it's been done by a professional and you just have to check their corretions and answer their queries.

LarryS said...

So how much of a departure is the err Departure? Is that Polity or Cormac?

Neal Asher said...

Larry, The Departure is a big departure from the Polity. No Cormac ... in fact I'll do a post about this.

LarryS said...

Cool, a new universe!

Grim's Reality said...

When you come in to London you should announce it and we'll all come and meet you in pub.

Neal Asher said...

Thanks for the scan Phil M. Nice to know that I am, apparently, a national treasure!

I might just do that, Graeme.

Xanares said...

Hear hear Graeme. I'll even promise to be nice.