Friday, November 16, 2012

Early Start


Sometimes I wish my mind had an off switch and other times I’m grateful that it doesn’t. The first case applies when I’m worrying about something, wake up at three in the morning and lie there fretting and churning over things that would have looked better in the morning after a  good night’s sleep. The usual result of this is me managing to get to sleep – usually after getting up and having a cup of tea – at about five in the morning, then waking up a few hours after that feeling like crap. Then there are those other insomnia moments.

I’ve been getting a little bit stuck with the latest book, writing, deleting changing sections and trying to make it work properly. I woke up and started thinking about this and it at once appeared that during my brief sleep my subconscious has been doing some heavy lifting. I got up (this morning I woke at about 3.30 and got up half an hour later) and I started writing stuff down. Things that previously seemed vague to me had begun to come clear. Yes, I had backed myself into a corner there so change that section and delete that section, write-in the POV of that character and lose that one. Go through the entire book, and the book before, and completely change another character.

By this time I’d finished my second cup of tea it was 5.45 AM. What to do next? From previous experience I knew that if I went back to bed I would wake up feeling like crap, my mind sluggish, and what had seemed clear to me before would not be so clear then. I took a shower and now, as I write this it’s 6.20 AM and, once I’ve finished this sentence, to work!

5 comments:

Chrish said...

Good morning!

Chrish said...

Good morning! wise decision to stay awake, one lives and learns ;)

Bob Lock said...

It's 10am, I've been up a while but my Muse is still snoring in bed, dribble running down its chin...

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

i hear ya. up at 3 AM checking online, excersise light, read then asleep til 9 AM. i beat the jet lag!

Neal Asher said...

Belated good morning, Chris.

Mine usually is too, Bob.

Didn't want the sleep. Mind turns off again, Vaude.