Monday, February 18, 2013

Mindgames: Fool's Mate

Okay, I've gone and done it. You can find my very first published novella (about 45,000 words) for your Kindle now.



Jason Carroll, an ex SAS soldier and contract killer is convinced he will die in action. It is thus embarrassing when he is run over by a bus. It is even more embarrassing when he, and atheist, realises there is an afterlife…

Resurrected on a huge flat plain, he is forced to play a deadly game. Moved as a pawn to the whim of the Gods in a fight to the death with warriors from all ages of earth’s history. Killed again and again only to be resurrected.

The General, the Grim Reaper and Anubis are some of the strange beings who direct this grisly entertainment. Is it real or only in his decaying mind. Who is the Clown? It there anywhere to escape to?

To retain his sanity, he must believe there is an end; an escape; a purpose. A thought-provoking story leading to an action filled climax that challenges our accepted beliefs…

12 comments:

SpMP said...

Great, that was the only one of your books that I didn't have. Collection complete. Thank you mr. Asher

Phil M said...

Cheers Neal

Bob Lock said...

You can see this is your first book, your name is much, much smaller than the title :)

Northern Fop said...

Hi Neal

Is this the "Director's Cut"?

By which I mean: Have you edited it with the benefit of several years more experience, or has it just been exhumed and published, warts and all?

Neal Asher said...

My pleasure SpMP & Phil.

Yes, Bob, also it wasn't my title and is one whose double meaning I've always been uncomfortable with.

Northern Fop, I did edit with the benefit of experience, but only for clarity and grammar. Plan fact is that if I go for warts and all some will judge all my fiction by the warts here.

Northern Fop said...

Cheers for the rapid response; that's the answer I was hoping for!

Surtac said...

Thanks Neal.

Double-plus good!

DrBMBridge said...

Yay, also on amazon.com, was a bit worried there for a second when the link went to amazon.co.uk
All queued up on my Kindle and ready to go. What a nice way to start the post-US holiday four day work week :)
Thanks Neal!

Roger Schweingruber said...

Thanks Neal - looking forward to reading it.

I wonder, do you have a shelfari account. I started in November last year with it. Best way yet to keep track of what I read. Would be a cool thing if Asher Readers would use Shelfari to exchange information about good books :)

Here is mine:

http://www.shelfari.com/roger-schweingruber

Aidan said...

Purchased!

Any chance of the Mason's Rats series appearing?

Neal Asher said...

Um, Mason's Rats ... I may do a small collection of short stories anon.

Cornz said...

Downloaded... looking forward to it!