Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Australia

Shall I compare thee to a block of granite? Film viewing on Tuesdays being discounted at the cinema in Freeport Braintree, me and the wife headed down there to watch a film that seemed to have potential, to be followed by some food in a nearby Mexican restaurant. We watched Australia, though I have to admit there were periods when I wasn’t watching, having closed my eyes in the hope of drifting off to sleep. What a load of boring cliched tripe. Yeah, it was about as interesting as watching a block of granite, there seemed an equivalent amount of active chemistry involved too, however, Australia differed by having a story substantially less interesting than that of a block of granite. Is it Nicole Kidman? I can’t seem to remember any enoyable films in which she has appeared, but I can remember plenty of dreadful ones, like Cold Mountain, Atonement and Moulin Rouge.


And the beef in my fajita was tough too.


Okay, I got Atonement wrong, that was that Keira Knightley. As Bob pointed out I was so fucking bored I forgot who was in the damned thing.


10 comments:

Thud said...

who picks the films in your house?....something wrong there methinks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just look at that over saturation! Makes me long for the good old days of war time romance... You'd almost expect Fabio to be holding her.

Anonymous said...

You guys are certainly picking some good films. Remind me not to visit the cinema with you.

Neil

Anonymous said...

Off topic and maybe old, but no one bothered telling me about it, and that's just me
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/craig_venter_is_on_the_verge_of_creating_synthetic_life.html

Kirby Uber said...

i actually quite liked moulin rouge, for sheer surreality factor. plus ewan can sing? whoa, didn't see that coming.

wasn't nicole kidman in "The Others" i rather liked that too.

bob said...

I found myself wishing, no praying, that Hugh Jackman's character would suddenly pause, growl, sprout spikes from his hands and begin a murderous spree, but it was not to be. That's $8 and 2 hours I will never ever get back. And I didn't even get to have a bad mexican dinner, so you've got me there.

Anonymous said...

You must have been bored shitless watching Atonement aspecially as you didn't notice Nicole Kidman wasn't in it!

Neal Asher said...

You got me there, Bob. Funny the tricks the mind plays on you. I put it down to the Christmas alcohol. I shall revise...

Antony said...

So what are you favourite films then?

V for Vendetta?
Dark City?

Anonymous said...

You do pick some crappy films to watch Neal.

I normally go to the cinema with my Dad to avoid having to watch dross. SWMBO is directed at her pals to go watch musicals or romance.

Next up for us is Defiance. It's about the Bielski partisans in WW2.