Monday, January 26, 2009

Book Case.


Now, I’m always interested in other people’s book shelves. If I’m around someone’s house I like to check out what they read and, more importantly, what they keep on their shelves. This interest extends to when I pick up one of the crap lifestyle/celebrity/woman’s magazines (usually in a dentist’s) and flick through it. I’m not looking at the people, or most of their furnishings, I’m looking for books. This is usually a disappointment because, if you pick up one of the celebrity lifestyle magazines like Hello, on the rare occasions you see a room with a book shelf in it, the books arrayed there are usually for appearance sake. Often you’ll see the beautifully-bound collected works of Shakespeare which you know for damned certain have never been opened. Sometimes I wonder if the book spines might be some decorative plastic moulding that came with the set of shelves. A sad reflection on those ‘celebs’ that demonstrates the victory of appearance over substance. Anyway, getting to the point, all this is why I like to see pictures like this one of Pekka Jonsson’s book case in Italy, tagged for me on Facebook. Pay special attention to the bottom righthand corner.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, Judas Unchained. Slightly overlong and not as good as its predecessor, but still a good read ;)

Here's a not so recent one of mine - The Gabble has been proudly added to it: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uEqxUFfsfwA/SJYVKIlV-bI/AAAAAAAAAQA/YJvXyffP4Fo/s1600-h/some_books.jpg

Neal Asher said...

I can see I'm going to have to run a book case thread here. Very nice selection you have there! Mind if I put it up on the blog too?

Anonymous said...

No problem Neal, but I'd prefer if I could get a new one done. I think it's time to update that one anyway, my bookshelf is looking a little better since then :)

Thud said...

I have several thousand books now and it has reached the stage that a cull may be in order...what to do?

Afront said...

Great idea for a thread, Neal! Here's my 'caseful of Asher:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FCv-AR4RNeQ/SX5Qfvn7cuI/AAAAAAAAAEo/od63EjxwqXM/s1600-h/bedroom-01.JPG

As you can see, top of the pile!

My other bookcases are blogged at: http://afront.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-bookcases.html

packrat54 said...

I couldn't resist getting in on this, though not the prettiest sight I'm proud of my book collection.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZRBP7mX53FQ/SX5xaMp3DLI/AAAAAAAAB7k/6XjZix-JNow/s320/packrat54bookcase.jpg

While I was at it I blogged the subject:
http://justalittleisenough.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-store-your-prized-possessions.html

Neal Asher said...

And Mark, yes I did see the Judas Unchained. Very Amusing. I'll have to have a word about the filing system there.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, I couldn't resist my poor attempt at humour :)

My updated books: http://tinyurl.com/bz48b4

Some damned fine collections about the place, although I dread to think where I'd put that many books :s

PaPeeChu said...

I did say I was sorry ;). While I'm building a shrine for your books, is there a location in the case you'd rather be filed? :)