Friday, January 16, 2009

DeathRay

Okay, Julie Crisp gave me a copy of the Feb/March 2009 issue of DeathRay to cast my eye over. There’s an excellent review of The Gabble in there by Guy Haley (who can claim to have done the SFX review of The Engineer, which I copied and put on top of the synopsis and sample chapters of Gridlinked I sent into Macmillan back in 1999). Here’s a highlight:

WE SEEM TO HAVE BEEN saying “Neal Asher is awesome!” a lot recently. Here it is again: We love you, Neal, you and your futuristic hardmen, weird monsters and chillingly pragmatic AI.


So, after allowing me to dribble over that for a while, Julie turned to page 168 … through to page 175 and I nearly wet myself. There you’ll find a full page redition of the gabbleduck, the story Softly Spoke the Gabbleduck entire, topped off with an inteview with me. That’s a bloody lot of coverage. Thanks DeathRay!

4 comments:

Martin Sommerfeld said...

How did they manage do get an interview with you that you didn't know of?? ;-)

Anyway, sounds wonderful.

Neal Asher said...

Oh I did know about it, Martin. But I'm so often doing interviews for blogs, websites and magazines I lose track of them. Just google 'Neal Asher interview' and you'll see what I mean.

Martin Sommerfeld said...

I didn't realize there were so many out there.

At one point you say about the polity series "Another danger of creating such a future history is that readers often object when you step out of it."

Well I, for one, am quite happy that you have another go with "The Owner of Worlds", since I really loved the three shortstories in "The Engineer Reconditioned" and thought there was enough potential for a full novel, maybe even several books. Besides conceptscifi I didn't find anyone mention it yet, did I miss an interview with the Owner as a topic?

Another thing about the owner stories: Will "Owner Space" be published outside the Galactic Empires collection? I have some problems tracking that one down with reasonable postage..

Neal Asher said...

Martin, not sure what other interviews I might have mentioned the Owner in. As for Owner Space, I imagine that Macmillan will be up for doing another collection of my stories at some point in the future.