Friday, March 06, 2009

Calling all Artists!













I’m noticing that scattering amidst the followers of this blog there’s quite a few artists so, bearing that in mind, do any of you guys or any others drifting through here fancy having a go at doing some pictures? Specifically I’m looking for scenes, characters, drones, monsters or anything else you can think of from my fiction. I’ve yet to see, for example, a depiction of a gabbleduck that matches up to what I see in my head. Here you can see two attempts at that, one the cover of The Gabble and the other from the front page of the Asimov’s that first published Alien Archaeology. Perhaps you’d like to do something from The Skinner, maybe a heirodont, ocean or land, maybe a glister or one of the varieties of whelks like the frog whelks here. Plenty of other things that can be attempted, maybe a sand hog from Brass Man with Anderson mounted up, or Mr Crane himself. There’s the spaceships too, like the Ogygian, the Jerusalem or the Cable Hogue. I leave that decision entirely up to you…


The pictures that turn up I'll display here with any links the artist wants and the three pictures (by separate artists) I judge best will each receive a free copy of Orbus when it comes out next September. If anyone comes up with that picture I'm seeking of a gabbleduck by then, that'll be worth a copy of Orbus plus copies of the rest of the Macmillan backlist of my books. My contact details can be found in 'Contacts' on my Virgin website.


5 comments:

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

i'm all over the Glister myself. i would imagine it lives to battle the Scummerai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5XhueRIdQ

Jebel Krong said...

hmmm i will have to think about this one - it's been a very long time since i drew something (i photoshop, not draw). but i'll see if i can come up with something.

CMD said...

That sounds great...!
I was just thinking how great it would be to work on a graphic adaptation of something you've written....(don't know...a graphic novel, a comic, an illustrated story...anything...!)

alright darling said...

I'll definitely have a go at this.

www.rosemarydarling.com

Djester13 said...

Heh
I have 2 sketches; one of a Prador 2nd child and one of Sniper's Nautiloid drone shell.
I'll have to dig them out.