Friday, March 20, 2009

Mr Crane - Carlos Mendez

Here's another one from Carlos Mendez. Comments please! Incidentally, I'll put the picture title and artist's name in the titles of these posts from now on.



Artist's Comments
This is another piece inspired on Neal Asher's books. It's a mad Golem Android called Mr. Crane...

The words "Golem Android" evoke to me something technologically very advanced (an android with an AI) but at the same time something classic-old fashioned (something with a medieval air...a Golem...). That's why I tried to give it a "mechanic look"...with those clockwork-like wheels and all...

I have to admit it...Jack Kirby was one of my greatest influences...and Jim Steranko (who was clearly inspired by Kirby...) and Mike Mignola (who is also influenced by Kirby) ...and Paul Gulacy (who was very influenced by Steranko...ok, ok, ....Steranko was influenced by...Kirby...!)

4 comments:

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

i figured he was way thinner. major talent for RPG books brewing here. cranking 'em out.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes a hundred times yes.

Spot on.

I always visualised the Golem as being far more solid than say, the spindly T-100 Terminators, instead packed with fibrous cables, nanofactured musculature and other parts that made them look far more human (in a robotic artificial way). Unless of course they had skin, in which case looking like Arnie is okay.

Neal Asher said...

It is very good. Regarding Mr Crane - it's well worth taking a look at the American cover of Brass Man...

Afront said...

This one's probably my favourite so far (but then I grew up on Marvel).

I'd always imagined Mr. Crane to look like Saint of Killers from Garth Ennis' Preacher.

Except more brassy ;)