Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Hurt Locker.

Well, we watched the award winning Hurt Locker last night and I have to say that it was ... crap. It seemed as if a message was trying to be imparted here but it got lost in the confusion (exacerbated by wobbly camera syndrome) and resulted in the cliche 'war is hell'. I had no idea of basic stuff like who was the commanding officer, who was being too reckless and who too timid, and the bit about a kid being killed was lost on me. There was no real plot, just a series of Hollywood tropes, scenes that were supposed to be deep but turned out to be puddles. It was a mess, frankly. Why did it win? As ever with any award: politics. If you want to watch a good film in this sort of genre, go buy Black Hawk Down. Don't waste your money on this.

6 comments:

Alex Cull said...

Well, it beat Avatar at the Oscars, it has that going for it.. Not that I'll be seeing either of them, I suppose!

Anonymous said...

The only reason they chose to give it to her was that NO ONE has seen the movies so no one knows just how bad it is.

I don't care that it beat Avatar, that was a stupid move too.

Adam Roberts said...

I agree, there was nothing special about The Hurt Locker. Up should've won everything.

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

she hit her peak with Near Dark. one of my favorites amongst so many millions of tepid horror movies. nasty shit.

Jebel Krong said...

are you really surprised? they just needed something other than avatar to give the award to...

now say what you like about avatar, but in terms of movie experiences it is a generational-leap - surely that should have been enough for best director/film, even as science ficton?

Anonymous said...

I think The Hurt Locker was all about the random events that go on in those kind of situations.

I loved the sniper bit, but did feel let down with the film as a whole after all the reviews bigging it up.

As I've said before Avatar is basically a way to show the potential of 3D as a film making tool as opposed to just making things jump out at you - it had such a predictable plot so we could sit back and enjoy the visuals without having to concentrate on the plot.

Not sure what film should have won best picture at the Oscars.

As for Bigelow my fave film of hers was Strange Days - the current leader in the Favourite Kathryn Bigelow film is Point Break.

I always enjoy Near Dark, but feel the ending is just a terrible let down.