Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Temperance Month Over

So, for the health of our livers, Caroline and I spent this January drinking tea, coffee, juices and cordial only. This was after what the bansturbators in the BMA and nanny government would describe as excessive drinking, mainly because they made up the unit limits back in the 80s and have never bothered to change them.

Stopping drinking wasn't a problem, in fact, we looked forwards to it, almost as if bored with it. We didn't get any cravings and neither of us concealed any bottles of Vodka anywhere. The noticeable effect was a lack of hangovers and a tendency to sleep throughout the night, not wake up in the early hours. How it affected our health otherwise I don't know - I had a cold throughout most of January so couldn't really tell.

Last night we cracked a bottle of red wine and shared it. Did I really enjoy it having been abstinent for so long? Not really. It seemed watery, tea would have been better, and we finished the bottle more as a matter of form than because we were relishing it. I don't think I'm going to bother with it much now. I'll have a drink on my birthday tomorrow, and I'll toast my brother at his wake on the 8th. Of course I rather think that the chilled carafe of wine down by our local beach on Crete is going to be a different matter...

3 comments:

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

isn't it healthy to drink a little wine (or vinegar) everyday? i know a person who uses vinegar to curb (the onset of ?) diabetes.


get drunk, now.

Neal Asher said...

Well, I have just bought a bottle of scotch. It mainly seems to be red wine that I'm off.

Neal Asher said...

And the scotch tastes luverly.