Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who Reads My Books? Caleb Young.

Here is my Bio

I'm 29 years old, grew up on a Cattle Ranch in South Texas.  I attended Texas A&M University.  I've read all my life, started with Jurassic Park, Congo type novels around 2-3rd grade.  Kept reading all the time.  I got addicted to SCI FI in college when I found a little resale book shop that had two complete walls dedicated to SCI FI, I started reading every work done by Sir Arthur C Clark, devoured his works.  I was averaging about one novel every two days.  Once I graduated I worked and still read on and off over the next few years.  Eventually I went to work in the Oil Field, I work on the big platforms that are out in the Gulf of Mexico drilling for oil.  Well when you get off of work, you have a lot of time to read, no grass to mow, no garden to tend, so I read, and read and read, I would average 15 books in a 21 day period.  Well when the world changing Hurricane Katrina came into the gulf and set its sites on New Orleans, our rig was evacuated, during the evacuation we spent 5 days in a hotel with no power, I had run out of books, so I found a little book store and picked up Peter F Hamilton's "Fallen Dragon" and thats how I found the "Space Opera" Genre.  While searching for his books on Amazon UK, it recommended some of your books, I started with Gridlinked, and then Line of Polity, well while waiting for my next few Asher's i have been reading the Max Brook's fiction "World War Z".  I have all of your Cormac novels, and Brass man is in queue after my current read of "Zombie Survival Guide".  I love you style of writing, it reminds me of Louis Lamour, he wrote westerns here in the states.  Well thats my reading history, heres my bio stuff.  I have a wife who reads as much as I do, and love video games, a 2.5 year old daughter who loves to be read to.  I'm working my way through the compilation of ACC short stories and she really enjoys them.  I have two dogs a Chihuahua that reminds me of Shuriken, and a laborador mix.  Please find attached some pictures of myself.  I will send one more email tommorrow with a picture of my Asher Books lined up.  Thanks for being a down to earth guy.

Cheers,

Caleb Young

5 comments:

Michael Stone said...

Caleb Young... that's a cool name. It'd look good on book spines.

Antony said...

Yeah thats a definite contender for a character name too - and how cool would that be to see your name in one of Asher's books?

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

World War Z! what a fun book that is.

speaking of space opera, anyone read the gem of the same name by Vance?
its very linear, but fun.

loggerag2002 said...

That would be awesome. I would love to be a war drone. The CYoung, memstore implanted into a drilling rig shaped war drone, memories of the famous Artic Driller Caleb Young.

Neal Asher said...

You know, Macmillan ran a competition a few years back in which the winner would be a character in one of my books. The winner was Jan Cosby who was Charles Cymbeline's Golem secretary in Orbus. By the time I got to writing Orbus the person who had organised the comp had left Macmillan and no one knew anything about it - I didn't know whether the winner was male or female, or whether he/she got notification, a free book or whatever.