Sunday, April 23, 2023

New Short Story Collection: Fantastical

 

I’ve stuck a new short story collection up on Kindle and POD. This was shortly after I received the cover from Vincent Sammy, who has again done an excellent job. The picture is from a short story called Marie and the Witchfinder, and he nailed it.


Included in this collection are the three Mason’s Rats stories because though these can be bought as a booklet through Kindle it is too small for Amazon to do a print version. Also included – another that appeared on Tim Miller’s Love, Death and Robots on Netflix – is Bad Travelling. Along with that are two others set in the same world.


 

Introduction:

I’m known for science fiction and that work ends up as a book or in some story collection. But as over the years I scrabbled around to find my opening I also wrote fantasy and other stuff that doesn’t comfortably take a label. These stories have been mouldering on my hard drive for years and I thought it time to scrub them up and put them out there. It concerned me that some might be a bit duff. Publish them anyway, cried the readers, either out of genuine interest or eager to see me fall flat on my face. Some stories were duff, but I have rewritten them into functionality, I think – there are a few here about which I have my doubts. The one about a twenty-something wannabe artist running away with elves still makes me cringe. I also said I would write waffly introduction to each. Do more waffle, the readers cried, so I did. 

Enjoy. . .

 

Neal Asher 20/04/23

No comments: